Re: Signal 11 when using 'ps'

"Ed Cogburn" <ecogburn@greene.xtn.net> writes:
> Colin Watson wrote:
> >
> > Ed Cogburn <ecogburn@greene.xtn.net> wrote:
> > >       Ever seen this?  Whenever I run 'ps' it says it caught 'signal 11'.
> > >The output from 'ps', aside from the signal 11 error message, is
> > >correct, the program is working right, and I'm not getting signal 11
> > >from anywhere else, including when compiling the kernel, only 'ps'.
> > >Make sense to anyone?  Nearly up-to-date Debian Woody.
> >
> > What does 'strace ps' say (assuming you've installed the strace
> > package)? You only need to bother looking at maybe a dozen or two lines
> > back from where it says "SIGSEGV".
>

> This is what I get with an strace on ps:

[snip]
> open("/boot/System.map", O_RDONLY|O_NONBLOCK|O_NOCTTY) = 6
> fstat(6, {st_mode=S_IFREG|0664, st_size=141296, ...}) = 0
> old_mmap(NULL, 141297, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE, 6, 0) =
> 0x401df000
> close(6)                                = 0
> mremap(0x401be000, 135168, 12288, MREMAP_MAYMOVE) = 0x401be000
> --- SIGSEGV (Segmentation fault) ---
> write(2, "\n\nSignal 11 caught by ps (procps"..., 98
>
> Signal 11 caught by ps (procps version 2.0.6).
> Please send bug reports to <acahalan@cs.uml.edu>
> ) = 98
> _exit(139)                              = ?

It's just a wild, last-resort type of idea, but make sure your
/boot/System.map is correct. In other words, make sure it's associated
with kernel you're running.

> 	Now I'm getting a consistent and repeatable sig11 from
> console-apt/dpkg.  I thought sig11 is a memory problem, but the
> memtester in my BIOS, and memtest-86 v2.4 (3 passes) both show no errors
> in my RAM.  Yet the mremap function above is a memory-related function,
> so I'm stumped.  When I originally moved to this new machine, I wasn't
> getting sig11 errors, but there have been hardware (not memory) and
> software (massive Debian upgrade) changes since then, and I can't
> remember exactly when this started.  Can sig11 mean something other than
> a memory problem?

Yeah, it can be caused by quite a variety of hardware problems, it's
just the memory is the most probable. Take a look at the SIG11 FAQ
here:

http://www.BitWizard.nl/sig11

Gary