Re: Can't log in after apt-get upgrade

If you upgraded as shown below, you still need to install the packages that have been kept back. However I experienced a similar problem and it turned out that the rep package didn't get installed.

HTH, Pascal Hos
paashaas@rice.edu

Ross Boylan wrote:

I just did an apt-get upgrade, my first in about 10 days.  I'm now
unable to log in (except if I set my GDM session to Debian, which is
how I got on to send this message).

My system is potato with a little woody to support GNOME.  I use Helix
gnome.  After the upgrade the system locked up and started
beeping--this seems to be standard when updating sawfish.
Unfortunately, when I restarted I had the problem described above.
When I enter a user name and password the login screen disappears, and
the monitor makes a click as if resyncing.  The login screen then
comes back on.

I'd appreciate any advice on where to look for the source of the
problem.

Thanks.

System info:
Linux wheat 2.2.17 #1 Sun Jun 25 09:24:41 EST 2000 i586 unknown

Here's the start of the upgrade session, and then my apt.sources:

Script started on Tue Dec 12 01:03:09 2000
wheat:/usr/local/rootlog# date
Tue Dec 12 01:03:11 PST 2000
wheat:/usr/local/rootlog# apt-get -qu upgrade
Reading Package Lists...
Building Dependency Tree...
The following packages have been kept back
  gnome-core gnome-help gnome-panel gnome-panel-data gnome-session
gnome-terminal libgnomeprint11 The following packages will be upgraded
  cpp-doc cron dnsutils ed elvis-tiny gcc-doc gnome-bin gnome-control-center
  gnome-dev-doc gnome-faq gnome-help-data gnome-libs-data gs libart-dev
  libart2 libcapplet0 libgdk-pixbuf2 libgnome-dev libgnome32 libgnomesupport0
  libgnomeui32 libgnorba-dev libgnorba27 libgnorbagtk0 libgtkxmhtml1
  libncurses5 libncurses5-dev liborbit-dev liborbit0 libpanel-applet0
  libreadlineg2 librep9 libzvt2 modutils ncurses-base ncurses-bin ncurses-term
  netscape-base-4 netscape-base-4-libc5 orbit rep rep-gtk rstart rstartd
  sawfish sawfish-gnome sgml-tools ssh ssh-askpass-gnome xbase-clients xext
  xf86setup xfree86-common xfs xlib6 xlib6g xlib6g-dev xmms xnest xproxy xprt
xserver-common xserver-svga xserver-vga16 xsm xterm xvfb 67 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 7 not upgraded.
Need to get 24.9MB of archives. After unpacking 945kB will be used.

[Nothing unusual in the rest of the log]

[sources.list]
deb-src cdrom:[Debian beta #2 bf 2.2.3]/ Debian/dists/potato/main/source/
deb cdrom:[Debian beta #2 bf 2.2.3]/ Debian/dists/potato/main/binary-i386/
deb cdrom:[Debian beta #2 bf 2.2.3]/ Debian/dists/potato/non-free/binary-i386/
deb cdrom:[beta Debian 2.2.3]/ Debian/dists/potato/main/binary-i386/
deb file:/ms/k/download/debian potato main
#deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian woody main contrib non-free
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian potato main contrib non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/ potato/non-US main non-free contrib
#deb http://security.debian.org potato updates

# Uncomment if you want the apt-get source function to work
deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian potato main contrib non-free
deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/  potato/non-US main non-free contrib

#Helix
deb file:/usr/local/download/Helix woody main
deb-src file:/usr/local/download/Helix woody main
deb http://spidermonkey.helixcode.com/distributions/debian unstable main
deb-src http://spidermonkey.helixcode.com/distributions/debian unstable main