Re: New beep in Gnome (SOLVED)

Peter Hugosson-Miller wrote:

> > I'm getting a strange new beep in Gnome. This happens whenever I
> > change to a new workspace using the desk-guide applet. I've looked
> > around in the Gnome control panel but can't find an option to turn
> > this off. My WM is Sawfish, BTW.
> >
> > As I mentioned in my most recent mail, I've just recompiled my
> > kernel. The only changes I made in xconfig were to enable sound
> > support and to select Pentium II for compiling. I haven't started
> > dealing with the ALSA stuff yet, so no sound modules are loaded.
> >
> > I have also done an apt-get dist-upgrade, which upgraded about 60
> > packages, all from stable, or helix-gnome.
>
> I'm on the trail now. In ~/.gnome-errors I find exactly one
> line like this for every beep that happens:
>
> Window lost focus keymap: panel, (keymap (move-window-interactively 3 .\
> 67240192) (popup-window-menu 1 . 67240448) (raise-lower-window 1 .\
> 67240960) (lower-window 65364 . 67174400) (raise-window 65362 . 67174400))
>
> Every new beep results in another line just like it. In the
> Gnome control panel, Multimedia->Sound section, sound events
> are turned off, and the same goes for the Sawfish->Sound
> section.
>
> So now I'm just plain stumped (and getting irritated). Any
> ideas, anyone (and no, I don't want to pull the speaker plug
> on my motherboard, as beeps can be useful sometimes)?

OK, it's fixed now (thanks to Gerard!). The missing part of the puzzle
was that I had to log out of Gnome, and log back in again, whereupon
the horrible beeping stopped. Sorry for wasting bandwidth, but then,
maybe someone else might be helped also, so it wouldn't have been a
complete waste.

--
Cheers!
   .~.