Voodoo 3000 3d acceleration -- look ma, no non-debian-packaged files.

Hellos,

  I'm reading all the documentation I can find, and I'm trying to setup my
machine to use 3d acceleration with my voodoo 3000.  I'd prefer to use only
use debian packages, so my question isn't exactly -how- to do this, but rather
if it's possible! :)

  I've spent about 10 hours reading and experimenting (and luckly not breaking
anything a ctrl-alt-del couldn't fix), and I've had little luck.  The best
I've been able to do is to get the OSMESA library to kick in.  (that is,
software rendering).  Which is annoying, since that's what I started off with
:) .

  Is there a place for debian users to read up on these sorts of specific
issues or is this list actually the appropriate place to ask?

  So, now as I go to sleep I'm asking if you can use Debian packages only and
get hardware acceleration to work.  (p.s. I'm 99% sure I've got the config
files for X windows correct, it seems that it's getting the correct libraries
or something similar to kick in that is my problem).

  Thanks in advance for any help pointers or suggestions.  Hmmm maybe I should
refrain from these sorts of sessions when I have english finals the next
day...  nahhhh.

-Gryn