Re: symbolic links etc

"john gennard" <joney@clara.co.uk> writes:
> How does one remove a symbolic link to say /dev/ttyS0 or /dev/hdc.
> This is not clear in any literature I have seen, although under 'rm'
> and its '--directory' option there is mention of 'unlink' but no
> further reference is made to this anywhere and I doubt it's relevant.

Just rm the link, eg., if /dev/cdrom is a link to /dev/hdc then you
can rm /dev/cdrom and it won't touch /dev/hdc.

> If I need to recreate /dev/ttySx or /dev/hdx which 'ls -l' show as
> crw-rw---- and brw-rw---- respectively, how would I go about
> doing so?         Thanks for advice,		John.

You want to use MAKEDEV to create/recreate things in /dev. Stuff in
/dev not only needs some specific permissions (to conform to the
Debian Way (tm)) but they need special "node numbers" and types so
that they can access the hardware for which they were intended. You
can recreate them manually, using mknod, if you know the correct type
and what it's major and minor node numbers should be, but it's
generally easier to just run MAKEDEV to build the things.

Do a "man MAKEDEV" for more information.

Gary