VNC with SSH

On Fri, Dec 08, 2000 at 01:06:36PM -0500, Giulio Morgan wrote:
> .....how do I make the
> connection "through an ssh tunnel" (I can make a "terminal" ssh connection -
> via putty - I just don't know how to use ssh to connect to the vnc
> server).

having read through the thread on VNC, I am assuming you want to SSH from the Win98 box to your linux box.
I have just set up VNC through SSH via a Linux SSH server to NT machines (production) running VNC server.

Since I am always for Free or Open Sourced software, I suggest you switch from putty to Tera Term Pro with
SSH (to download  these, do a search on your favourite search engine). Now, when you run the Xvnc server, you
need to know which screen it is running on (i.e. "your ip":X where X is the screen number. This step is unnecesary in NT
since there is only one screen i.e. :0). Ok, make sure ssh and vnc servers are running on your linux box. Now, on
you win98 box, start up Tera Term Pro with SSH. When the 1st screen appears, click cancel and go to Setup, SSH Forwarding
and choose Add. Under Forward local port, enter the local port (on your win98 box) which you want to use to connect to the
xvncserver (I normally use 5901) . Then under to remote machine, enter the ip address of the linux box and the port the vncserver
specified your screen is running as. For example, when you started VNC, it would have told you the screen it was running on.
....something like "now running on :1". As such, enter 5901 as the port number under Tera Term Pro. Then click ok..then ok again.
Now at the main screen, connect to the linux box via using ssh. Then start your vncviewer and enter you linux box ip and the port
i.e. linuxip:1. .then enter your password when prompted and you should then connect to your vnc server....

HTH

Patrick