Re: Installed from floppies, mounted ext pcmcia cdrom, made some progress

On Sun, Dec 10, 2000 at 06:24:18PM -0500, DTi4565459@aol.com wrote:

>  On Sun, Dec 10, 2000 at 01:58:51PM -0500, DTi4565459@aol.com wrote:
>  >
>  > Carel & newsgroup:
>  >
>  > Never could get apt-get install to work, but the following got me going:
>  >
>  > apt-cdrom add     for each of the 3 disks
>  > apt-get update
>  > dselect     (Using Q option to force; was this unwise??)
>
>  if you want to use dselect, then you have to tell dselect to update
>  its databases too: in dselect select Update once in a while.
>
> ******  Update seems to go OK, but I can't seem to get out of Select.

ah, yes dselect is at times difficult to grasp to say the least, but
you're not the only one fighting it:], we all are. Still once you find
your way with it it's great.

short dselect course:

$ dselect

gives you dselect's root menu. You've used the Update menu, and it
didn't complain, so dselect's databases are up to date.
The next step is to choose Select to start (un)selecting what you
want installed on your machine. And here it is where most get lost!

dselects's Select mode presents you a long long long list of packages
to choose from. At the beginning of each package line you'll find an
indication of the current state of the package [(partially) installed or
not], and the previous and current selected actions [install, deinstall or
purge] to be performed on this package by dselect's Install root-menu-entry.

Alter the current selected action on each package as you deem fit and then
leave the Select mode with a simple <Enter>. This will bring up dselect's
root menu.  From there you can select Install and all is swell.

The confusing part is that in dselect's Select mode selecting a package
can bring up a *nested* Select mode screen, now with a list of all the
packages that are needed or advised to have to make the package you
selected work.  Again you can (de)select to your hearts content and
finish it off with a mere <Enter> which will either bring you back
to the first level of dselect's Select mode, or start a new nested
Select mode to give you a change to work out other dependencies.

Each time dselect presents you with this bewildering Select mode
screen, it starts of with a small explanation page.  READ this
very vary carefully, try to get into the key-description page (use the
<?> key) and memorize that.  You'll find secret keys there that
will allow you to revert to the state just prior to the selection
that caused this nested Select screen to popup, and more.  If you
find this confusing at first, don't despair, we all did!

Hope this will help you to get to grips with it.

>  to setup a dialup account use pppconfig and fill in the dots:)
>
> *************  Well, I tried, and the dots look like they have correct info;
> but when I type pon, there is no response; eg back to # prompt.

that's how it's supposed to go:)
To see the dialing-in progressing use "plog -f", and end this with "Ctrl-C".
To allow mere mortals to connect add those users to the "dip" group, or use
"diald" to do on-demand dialing (but that's for later). Bytheway, the fact
that you refered to the "#" prompt makes me fear that you do things as root.
Not sure whether you're new to Linux/unix, but just in case: be sure to do
as little as possible as root.

> ***********  This newsgroup reader usually works fine with regular mail, as
> I get a screen where I can cut and paste previous text into reply; but for
> now I haven't figured out how to do this in Debian newsgroup.  Sorry.

Okee, don't worry, once you have figured debian out, you can use real
newsreaders:)

--
groetjes, carel