Gnome takes a while to start up

I log in to Gnome from xdm.  Most of the time, after giving me an
xterm, it pauses for a few seconds before starting Gnome proper
(i.e. giving me the panel, background and icons).

I know this is something to do with esd because when it pauses `Unable
to bind port 16001' appears in ~/.xsession-errors.  When it doesn't
pause, it does not appear, and:

13:13 ~$ netstat -lnp | grep 16001
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:16001         0.0.0.0:*       1057/esd

Sound works perfectly anyway.  Does anyone else have this problem?  Is
there a known cure?  (I'm using SBLive! Value, if that's any help).

Tom