Re: Help using old dos partition...

At 02:34 AM 12/10/00 +0100, you wrote:
/hda1 dos
/hda5 /boot
/hda6 /
/hda7 swap
/hda8 /home

Now I would like to use cfdisk to delete /hda1 and create two
partitions, one for /usr/local and another for /tmp.

Could someone check my steps?

1. Change to init 1
2. Use cfdisk to delete dos partition and create new two/Write/Format
3. All other names now bumped down one, so change lilo root /hda6 to
/hda7

Nope - they don't bump up or down, thats where you're going amiss.

4. Change fstab settings bumping up all one and adding /usr/local and
/tmp
5. Reboot.
6. Switch to init 1. Make and move over /usr/local and /tmp files

The problem is I never got past stage 5 reboot. It hangs. Where did I go
wrong? When I changed /hda1 to a single linux partition for /usr/local,
everyting went ok.

PPS Instead of everything getting out of wack and bumped down, can't
I split /hda& into /hda1 and /hda2. can I control the naming somehow?

Thats exactly what should happen - you can have hda1 and hda2 in the same space as hda1 used to take up.

FYI hda5 and upwards are called Logical partitions, and reside in what is called an Extended partition. hda1 through to hda4 are called Primary partitions, and the Extended partition is a special kind of Primary partition.

To confuse the issue even more, hda1 does not have to be physically before hda2 on the disk. I mean that hda2 might be track 1 to 10 and hda1 might be track 11 to 123.
--
Criggie