Re: Q: Using apt-get upgrade-Any way to get list first?

Use a frontend like capt (console-apt) or aptitude.  They show you
a list of packages to be updated.  Aptitude puts the packages to be
upgraded in reverse cyan and sets the "SA" field to iu.  Capt (package
console-apt) will put them into the second list from the top--headed
Installed packages (newer version is available).  Another quick thing to
do is go ahead and upgrade, just say n when asked to continue, then you
have a list of what is being upgraded, and you can apt-get install the
packages in the priority system you see most fit.  Of course, probably the
best thing to do if you have issues with large downloads is to stay with
stable, then your daily d/l is pretty much guaranteed to be small except
when they have "point release" days.  YMMV, HTH, HAND, etc

--
Pardon me, but you have obviously mistaken me for someone who gives a
damn.