Re: onboard sound with via82cxxx

Pascal Hos wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a MSI 694d board with onboard audio with via82cxxx chip. I'm
> having severe problems trying to get the sound working. When compiling
> the kernel I selected modular sound card support and modular OSS sound
> modules with modular VIA 82C686 Audio Codec.
> When doing "modprobe via82cxxx" I get the following output:
>
> [...]

Knowing the kernel version you are using could be useful. If i recall correctly
kernel 2.2.17 could only use via82Cxxx in soundblaster 8 bit emulation (sounds
poor) and you should activate in the bios something like "legacy soundblaster
compatibility".

In the 2.2.18pre and 2.4.0test kernel series there is full 16 bit support. Or
you could give a try to http://gtf.org/garzik/drivers/via82cxxx/ (the author of
the kernel driver), and looking for a driver patch  for the 2.2.17 stable
kernel. Another option is to use alsa...

Andrea