Re: Freshly compiled kernel too big?

On Fri, Dec 08, 2000 at 02:56:59PM -0600, Brian Boonstra wrote:
> Hi
>
> > bzImage?
>

> 	Thanks for the suggestion.  I thought that was the default, but I'll
> check when I get home tonight.

It is according to the manpages.  However, remember the kernel must be
uncompressed eventually.  Not sure how exactly the boot-loaders manage
this, but under some systems there may be a memory restriction. Also,
you may in fact want a zImage for certain laptops and PC's (but there's
that 640k limit thingy).

Btw, 5MB (that compressed right?), does seem awful large. My kernels in
/boot all weigh in under 640K (and yes, they use modules, current ~480K
worth).  Course, I turn off a lot of stuff that I don't need ;0.

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>