postfix set-gid problems

Today, postfix suddenly decided to stop working.  All of a sudden, the
/usr/sbin/postdrop program was unable to write to
/etc/postfix/maildrop due to permission errors.  This was rather
surprising, as I hadn't touched the permissions of either.  So I
checked the permissions, and the maildrop dir was set to

drwx-wx--T	maildrop

and the postdrop program was set to

-r-xr-sr-x	postdrop

So, the obvious solution is to add world writability to maildrop,
which I did.  However, that had no effect.  Adding set-uid permissions
for postdrop allowed me to think I was sending mail, but it was still
failing, with the only sign in the logs. Perviously, mutt had mailed
to send it at all.

Does anyone have an idea as to how this could have happened, or how it
can be fixed?  I've tried reinstalling postfix, and I'm sending this
with exim, which seems to work fine.

	sam th
	sam@uchicago.edu
	http://www.abisource.com/~sam/