Re: new

dkosan@linuxfreemail.com wrote:

> Hello,I am very new to Debian,I was wondering,when I did the install did I have
> to specify the modules for my network card and soundblaster live? Also,how do I
> configure the apt file so I can upgrade the entire distro and other installed
> packages?Thanks in advance.

Welcome :)

You can specify them during the install. The installer calls 'modconf'
which lets you pick the modules you want, specify parameters etc. This
is almost certainly still installed, so try running it as root.

The file you need to edit is /etc/apt/sources.list

It should look something like as follows:

### Start of /etc/apt/sources.list

# UK Debian Mirror
deb http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian woody main contrib non-free

# Helix GNOME
deb http://spidermonkey.helixcode.com/distributions/debian unstable main
deb-src http://spidermonkey.helixcode.com/distributions/debian unstable
main

# All those nasty things the US don't want us to have
deb http://non-us.debian.org woody/non-US main contrib non-free
deb-src http://non-us.debian.org woody/non-US main contrib non-free

### End of /etc/apt/sources.list

or just edit the file that's there to start with.

To completely upgrade your distribution, run:

apt-get update && apt-get -y dist-upgrade

but remember that this will mean you're running unstable, and things can
(and certainly do) break from time to time.

HTH,

Gareth
--
Gareth Bowker                     |  tgb96@aber.ac.uk