Re: Another newbie question ;-)

    Hall> Okay, I said I'd be asking some more... Here goes: I recently updated
    Hall> everything to "woody", per Tom Gilbert's suggestion. It all went
    Hall> pretty well. At least it's working now. Now, when I want to keep
    Hall> updated, I run "apt-get update", then "apt-get dist-upgrade". My
    Hall> complaint it, it wants to install a few, if not more, packages that
    Hall> I've selectively removed. For example, diald -- that's the one that
    Hall> comes to mind. I don't want diald, nor do I have it currently
    Hall> installed.

My guess is that one of the task-* packages that you have installed depends on
diald.  Probably task-dialup (or something like that - I cant look at my
packages list because I'm in the middle of doing in upgrade right now).

    Hall> First, why does it want to add this package, among others, back in ??
    Hall> Is it part of the "base" installation (sorry, I could check that -- I
    Hall> think -- but I'm at work now). If so, I understand the logic.

No, I don't think that it's part of the base installation.

    Hall> What I'm comparing it to <shields up> is an RPM-based distros method
    Hall> of "upgrading". I think it looks at what's installed and updates
    Hall> those packages (and dependencies) at the least. Right ?? I'd like
    Hall> "apt-get dist-upgrade" to do that.

Once you get used to apt and Woody, you'll never mention that nasty
three-letter-acronym again (unless it's preceded by "I hate...") ;-)  Actually,
there is one thing I miss about RPM, and that was that it's very fast (compared
to dpkg).  But that's the topic of a totally different discussion.

"apt-get upgrade" does the same thing.  If you do "upgrade" instead of
"dist-upgrade", you'll probably see something like "xxx packages not
upgraded".  The biggest reason that packages don't get upgraded is that the new
version of the package depends on a package that is not installed.  Doing a
"dist-upgrade" will install the new packages that are depended on.  And that's
probably what you were seeing.

Hubert

--
____     |     -----------------------------------------------------------
|  /   --+--
| /   ___|___    Hubert Chan <hackerhue@crosswinds.net>
|        |       K? w--- O++ M- V- PS-- PE+++ Y+ PGP+ t+ 5 X R- tv+ b+
|      / | \     DI++++ D G e++ h! !r !y
|     /  |  \
|        |     <><------------------ http://www.crosswinds.net/~hackerhue/

PGP/GnuPG fingerprint: 6CC5 822D 2E55 494C 81DD  6F2C 6518 54DF 71FD A37F
Key can be found at http://www.crosswinds.net/~hackerhue/hackerhue.asc