Re: apt: http vs. ftp?

On Thu, Dec 07, 2000 at 12:13:26PM -0500, David Teague wrote:
> I am not a networking authority, so I asked a colleague (Mark
> Holliday) who is.  He says http is optimized for relatively small
> files, mainly web pages, which are not terribly large, (what? 2 or 3
> K?)  whereas ftp was designed to be optimal files that may be very
> large.

I'm no authority either, but I believe your colleague is thinking of
HTTP 1.0 which is everything he says it is.  HTTP 1.1 has several
enhancements which make it more suitable as a generic file transfer
protocol, and thus apt uses HTTP 1.1.

Micromuse Inc.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.