Re: (deb potato) How to set default window manager for a) system b)indivdual users

If you are not using gdm, perhaps you like xdm or whatever, but there is
another way.  In each users home directory create an .xsession file.  This
should be an executable shell script.  In the script, put a line to run
whatever window manager you want for the user.  Thus, for blackbox, use only
one line:

exec blackbox

For gnome, change blackbox to gnome-session.  For kde, change blackbox to
startke.  You can also put x apps that you would like to start up in the
.xsession, too.  Check out the man page, there's lots you can do with the
session start up file.

For system wide, as mentioned earlier, update-alternatives --config
x-window-manager will change the default for every user.

HTH Tim

On Thursday 07 December 2000 15:49, Martin Waller wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The subject line says it all...there's no /etc/X11/window-managers file any
> more in potato and I want to change the default system window manager and
> find out how to get users to be able to change their own on login.
>
> Martin
>__________ Get more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download :
> http://explorer.msn.com

== Timothy Klein       || And what rough beast                   ==
== teece@hypermall.net || Its hour come round at last            ==
== Aufwiedersehen!     || Slouches towards Bethleham to be born? ==
== Aufwiedersehen!     || The beast of Redmond, nothing more.    ==