man errors when no man page available

Sometimes when I try to view a man page that doesn't exist (try man
nomanpage, or man foooooo), I get these errors:
man: warning: /usr/share/man/man1/vi.1.gz is a dangling symlink
man: can't open /usr/share/man/man1/vi.1: No such file or directory
man: warning: /usr/share/man/man1/vi.1.gz: bad symlink or ROFF `.so' request

"man vi" just gives me "No manual entry for vi", but not those errors; I use
vim.

I've experienced this on all of my potato boxes.  I'm resonably sure that
this has something to do with a "chooser?" or something like that, which lets
me as my own administrator choose which version of an application that has
many clones is the default one, to be referred to by the common name (vi
instead of vim or elvis, or whatever, in this case...).

I've got the most up-to-date potato apps, including security updates, so I'm
not sure what I have to do (except maybe create a symlink to the vim man
page).  I just want to know what is the best solution that will not be
ignored/trashed by the package management system.

--
Did you know that if you play a Windows 2000 cd backwards, you
will hear the voice of Satan?

That's nothing!  If you play it forward, it'll install Windows 2000.