eth0 problem after installing netscape

I just did a dist-upgrade and installed netscape 4.76. Now it seems my
eth0 connection (cable modem) won't stay active. I am unable to connect
to anything and then when I switch to init 1 and back [ctrl-d] then I
have a connection that works.

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm wondering if it's something from
the upgrade or a net work problem. It seems to work for a short time,
then dies.

this time the connection died in about 4 minutes. here's the result
dlm@lymond:~$ ping www.lvcm.com
ping: unknown host www.lvcm.com

Any easy way to fix this?

thanks

--

"For de little stealin 'dey gets you in jail soon or late. For de big stealin
'dey makes you Emperor and puts you in de Hall o' Fame when you croaks."