Sawfish default font color

How do I change my default font color in sawfish 0.34? I'm running dark-colored GTK & Sawfish themes; in a lot of apps, like GnomeCal and Gnome Control Center, the text defaults to black and thus is impossible to see...

I suspect that it has something to do with the 'default-foreground' variable. However, trying to change it to white through my .sawfishrc doesn't seem to work; when checking the value in sawfish-client, it is set to white, but the font is still black.

Any solutions?

Thanks in advance, Cheng