Re: bind & sendmail both as non-root

On Wed, Dec 06, 2000 at 03:08:58PM +0100, Krzysztof Mazurczyk wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I use potato r0. On my system bind (8.2.2) and sendmail (8.9.3-23) are
> running together.
> Bind run as non-root daemon, sendmail is running by inetd. When sendmail is
> run as root is OK. When I chown sendmail to mail:mail and tell inetd to run
> as mail then sendmail writes to log
>     ... reject=451 ... Sender domain must resolve
>
> The question is: Is it possible to have bind and sendmail both as non-root
> processes on the same Linux box? And how if any.

yes for bind you need to rewrite the initscript slightly (see archives
where i think i have posted a patch) and setup a chroot environment
for bind, running bind as non-root is not enough you should also
chroot it.   there is a howto that explains most of these steps, but
also check the archives i explain that too.

as for sendmail all you need to do is remove it and replace it with a
secure MTA such as postfix.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/