LI- Lilo just stops working

After setting up  lilo on my MBR to allow me to dual-boot Debian and my
game-OS, everything worked well.  I had to use the lba32 option in lilo.conf
to get this to work, so initially I was booting lilo from a floppy.

Well everything is fine for a while, then one day, I reboot and get:
LI-

And the computer just locks.  I'm 99.9% sure that I didn't re-run lilo, so
this must be some problem either with hardware, or some virus, or a bug in
lilo.  Anybody got a good starting point for investigation?  I can still use
the boot-disk for now, but we all know how reliable diskettes are... <insert
ominous music>

--
Did you know that if you play a Windows 2000 cd backwards, you
will hear the voice of Satan?

That's nothing!  If you play it forward, it'll install Windows 2000.