Re: 3Com network card w/ Caldera (=? Debian)

On Tuesday 05 December 2000 11:14, Gregory Guthrie wrote:
> Is Caldera Open-server Debian? I think they say this.
> But, /etc files are not the same, setup looks different.

No, Caldera eServer 2.3 is definately not based upon Debian :)

> If so;-)
>
> I am running with a 3C509b card, which I use on my other Debian
> systems, and it gets the module loaded fine, ifconfig is happy, but
> nothing seems to go out. Ping localhost works, but nothing to the
> network. The IP DNS etc are all OK I think, since the adjacent Debian
> 2.2 box works fine with the same settings.

At a CLI (as root) type in "coastool" minus the quotes and take a look
around. I haven't used Caldera in a while now so the _exact_ steps to
accomplish what you want after this this escape me at the moment, but
you are looking for the kernel modules area first (to make sure module
is loaded for NIC) and then the network interface properties section.
IIRC it was fairly straight forward after that.

You might want to look at the link in my signature for specific help
with Caldera products...

> I saw some mention of having to turn off PNP, a 3c5x9utils tool, ??

Boot from a DOS floppy and look on the floppy that came with your NIC
for the tool.

--
Myles Green Calgary AB Canada
http://linuxsteps.webjump.com/