Re: Non-root kernel compiling

On Tue, Dec 05, 2000 at 06:03:16PM +0100, paolo massei wrote:
> I read sometimes ago in this list that i can compile my custom-kernel
> being an ordinary user and not using root account (before installing it);
> well, when i try run  "make *config" in /usr/src/linux directory,
> i receive this error message:
>
> bash-2.03$ make xconfig
> rm -f include/asm
> rm: impossibile scollegare `include/asm': Permesso negato
> make: *** [symlinks] Error 1
>
> (translation of line n°3: rm: impossible to unlink `include/asm': Permission Denied)
> and all is stopped.
>
> User paolo hasn't (obviously) permissions of writing /usr directory and i think the
> right thing to do is to untar kernel-source in my /home-dir and compile there:
> may i have troubles installig (as root with make-kpkg) from there, or it's the ordinary
> manner in compiling kernel as user?
>
> Answers, other tips (and money donations ;))) will be appreciated...
as root:
cd /usr/src
chown -R paolo:paolo linux
you need to substitute your primary group (second word if you do id
paolo) for the second paolo

this wil make the kernel source owned by paolo, so he will get
write-access.

note: if you use kernel-package, you need to use fakeroot to build the
package.
--
> Name:           Alson van der Meulen      <
> Personal:       alson@linuxfreak.nl       <
> School:       alson@gymnasiumleiden.nl    <
what's this hash prompt on my terminal mean?