Re: Debian apache woes

Erin,

Without thinking too hard about what's going on since I don't admin
apache, I'm wondering if your problem could not just be that
'/etc/.profile' should really be called '/etc/profile' .  I believe
the convention is that these types of files are dotfiles in users'
directories (so they won't have to see them without ls -a) but do not
have dot prefix in /etc/ directory where they apply systemwide.
However, maybe you just mistyped below and it really is correctly
named on your system.

HTH,

Daniel