Re: to install or not to install

On Tue, Dec 05, 2000 at 05:34:53PM +0000, Justin B Rye wrote:
> QBA wrote:
> > [...]
> > And there is also a second reason to install tarballs -
> > some cool programs are available only in this format (e.g. w3mir).
> > And here's my question: is it a bad idea to install tarballz on Debian?
> > Thanks for help,
> > [...]
You cah install them in /usr/local just like you (should) do with
redhat, or you can make .debs yourself from source, read devel docs
like maintainer guide on debian.org for more info.

> Wait!  If you're looking for "WWW-wo-Miru", the .deb is called w3m,
> so you needn't resort to tarballs for that one.
>
> See "http://packages.debian.org/stable/text/w3m.html";.
w3mir != w3m
w3mir is packaged too iirc, look at packages.debian.org for more info

--
> Name:           Alson van der Meulen      <
> Personal:       alson@linuxfreak.nl       <
> School:       alson@gymnasiumleiden.nl    <
What happens to a Hard Disk when you drop it?