Re: How to purge and reinstall XFree86 [woody] ?

Scott Patterson <Scott_Patterson@andersonsinc.com> writes:
SP> I believe you can tell your computer which run-level to start with
SP> at the LILO prompt (assuming you're using LILO). IIFC, simply
SP> typing 2 and enter, will start you at run-level 2 (no X-Server
SP> running...plain ole console mode).

You can, in fact, tell LILO which runlevel to boot into by typing
e.g. 'linux 2' for runlevel 2.  But Debian's default is to have every
service (including your display manager) start in every runlevel; if
you wanted to change to a more Red Hat-ish setup where *dm only starts
in runlevel 5, you'd have to manually adjust the links in /etc/rc?.d.

That having been said, you can also boot into single-user mode by
typing 'linux single' at the LILO prompt.  That will get you no
services at all, including no display manager; it might be a little
easier to fix things from that state.

--
David Maze             dmaze@mit.edu          http://www.mit.edu/~dmaze/
	-- Abra Mitchell