Re: coping with a high-volume mailing list (like this one)?

oops sorry this was my comment about disconnected mode imap that started
this ... didn't realise it'd been picked up on.

> Well I'm no expert, but I suspect that "disconnected mode" with IMAP
> means that after IMAP has downloaded all the mail headers, it
> disconnects, allowing the user to peruse the mail headers and mark the
> ones (s)he wishes to download, and mark the ones (s)he wishes to
> delete.  Then the user reconnects, and IMAP causes all the downloads
> and deletes to happen quickly.

more or less that's what it means.  i've found imap to be very slow over a
wan link.  it's okay over ethernet but even over my 768k dsl it's slow.

after playing around with the same server using outlook i'm inclined to
blame pine for the slowness.  as fas as i can tell pine doesn't cache any
of the messages locally so every operation requires it to talk to the imap
server, this is so slow that i went back to using fetchmail to download my
mail and just using the imap server for my saved messages.

pine also does all it's imap transactions in the foreground which is
annoying.  it would be nice if when you changed into a folder it showed
you what was there and you could start reading and new message would just
show up as usual, instead you have to wait for it to check and download
all the message headers from that folder blah blah.

that being said i love pine and have it's keystrokes imbedding in my brain
from so many years of use.  but roles are great in pine, i like the way
it's collections work my only gripes are:

 - no disconnected mode imap
 - no good threading (but you can fake it close enough)
 - crappy mime support (no pgp/mime)

it keeps being almost enough to make me change over but i can't find
anything better.

adam.