Re: Mount ftp fs

Mats Eriksson <mats_e_eriksson@yahoo.se> writes:

> Hi !
>
> Does anyone know a way to mount a remote file systems
> over ftp ?
> I found something called "userfs" but it seemed
> incomplete and out of date.
> (I guess "sitecopy" is another way to do what I want
> to do but mounting would be cooler.)

See  ange-ftp  in  Emacs, which  runs  when  you  open a  file  called
will  prompt  you for  a  password and  open  your  home directory  on
remotehost in a dired-mode buffer. You can then treat files on
remotehost as if  they were on localhost. And  there are some bonuses,
like if you run shell-command from a buffer containing a remote file,
Emacs executes the command via rsh from the remote host.

For  secure connections,  there is  a  thing called  rcp.el which  can
supposedly use any backend with rsh-like syntax (e.g., ssh).
I  don't  remember  why  I'm  not  using that  right  now  instead  of
ange-ftp.

-chris