Re: Routing question

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eduardo Gargiulo" <egargiulo@netscape.net>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Monday, December 04, 2000 7:55 PM
Subject: Routing question

> Hi all.
>
> I have a subnet with real IPs and I want configure a firewall with two
interfaces, the first one (eth0) connected to the router ant the other
(eth1) connected to the hub. Two interfaces have the same subnetmask.
you can't have the same subnet mask for more than one subnet, because the
routing process has to decide to which interface it should send data to.
if you *really* want the same subnet on both eth's, you need an ethernet
bridge (support in kernel), then it doesn't matter on which interface your
ip is bound.
the easiest way to solve this problem is to split the ip's into 2 subnets on
each ethernet segment.
(and configure forwarding to forward packets between those subnets)

i hope i helped you

Raphael