Re: 5 DLT or SDLT Tapes recorder under Debian

On Mon, Dec 04, 2000 at 06:33:15PM +0100, Manuel Segura wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I use Potato 2.2 and I need to by a robot with for example 5 DLT or
> SDLT Tapes, to backup all my servers automatically.
>
> Question 1) What are the conditions a tape recorder must fullfil to
> work under Debian ?

It must be installed: power cable inserted into the back of the tape
drive, I/O cable plugged into the tape drive and the motherboard,
jumpers set up correctly.

Linux requirements: tape support compiled as a module or in the kernel
for your tape drive (SCSI, Floppy, or IDE).  In your case, you need to
compile in Tape support for SCSI devices.

> Question 2) Do you know one or more tape recorders that work under
> Debian ?

There's lots.  Check out the hardware compatibility pages at
http://www.linux.org or read your kernel documentation.

> Question 3) Is there a freeware software (GPL) easy to use to
> program each backup, without need to change the tapes ?

#------- BEGIN SHELL COMMAND OUTPUT -------
bash$ apt-cache search '(tape|archive).*backup' | sort

afbackup - Client-Server Backup System (Server side)
afbackup-client - Client-Server Backup System (Client side)
afio - Archive file manipulation program.
amanda-client - Advanced Maryland Automatic Network Disk Archiver (Client)
amanda-server - Advanced Maryland Automatic Network Disk Archiver (Server)
buffer - Buffering/reblocking program for tape backups, printing, etc.
dump - 4.4bsd dump and restore for ext2 filesystems
kbackup - KBackup is a single host backup solution for various media
mtx - controls tape autochangers
taper - Full-screen system backup utility.
tar - GNU tar
tob - Small yet powerful program for tape oriented backups.
#------- END SHELL COMMAND OUTPUT -------

I recommend amanda.  Not listed in this search was 'tar', the defacto
GNU backup utility.

See also: apt-cache(8), apt-get(8), /usr/share/doc/apt, 'info rx'
    (regular expressions info pages, found in package librx1g-dev)

Please install:
    task-newbie-help, task-doc, doc-linux-text or doc-linux-html,
    man-db, and manpages

--
Chad "^chewie, gunnarr" Walstrom <chewie@wookimus.net>
             http://www.wookimus.net/