Re: Postgres Port Problem (and other port issues)

--- Christoph Simon <ciccio@prestonet.com.br> wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Dec 2000 21:05:32 -0800 (PST)
> Chris Mayes <cmayes3@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello, everyone.
> >
> > So, here's the problem:  In a nutshell, Postgres doesn't seem to be
> > listening on port 5432 (which is where everything seems to be
> looking
> > for it).  Nmap confirms this, plus none of the stuff that lsof
> lists as
> > being owned by postgres seems to deal with a socket (here's the
> dump in
> > case it helps):
>
> Set
>   PGALLOWTCPIP=yes
> in /etc/postgresql/postmaster.init and restart postgres.

Well, nmap (and lsof) reports that the postgres port is open and
listening, but I still get:

psql: connectDBStart() -- connect() failed: Connection refused
        Is the postmaster running at 'localhost'
        and accepting connections on Unix socket '5432'?

...whenever I try to run psql (or the regression tests, which use
psql).  What else could be the problem?  Could it be the psql client?
Is there a way for me to test for connectivity without using psql?

Thanks,

-Chris