ssh broken

I had ssh (2.3.0, compiled from source) working just fine, and then I
change my sources.list to the unstable branch (to get perl5.6 and a few
other more up-to-date packages, includeing libc6).

Then I needed to do a "apt-get -f install" (to fix dependencies). It
asked me to restart a few services (inetd was one) and said I may need
to restart more if they are acting funny. I looked for a log of what it
installed later, but couldn't find one.

Immediately, I began to get errors with ssh (I did the updates over ssh,
and it let me continue ok in that session, but not log in any new ones).
I tried restarting, then recompiling, then looking at /etc/hosts.deny (
I commented the useful line ), and I just don't know what to do.

Here is the client response:
$ ssh -v localhost
SSH Version OpenSSH_2.3.0p1, protocol versions 1.5/2.0.
Compiled with SSL (0x0090600f).
debug: Reading configuration data /usr/local/etc/ssh_config
debug: Seeding random number generator
debug: ssh_connect: getuid 0 geteuid 0 anon 0
debug: Connecting to localhost [127.0.0.1] port 22.
debug: Allocated local port 1023.
debug: debug1: Server will not fork when running in debugging mode.
fatal: get_sock_port: getnameinfo NI_NUMERICSERV failed
debug1: Calling cleanup 0x8061f9c(0x0)
Connection established.
debug: Calling cleanup 0x805ebfc(0x0)

server debug info:
# /usr/local/sbin/sshd -ddd
debug1: sshd version OpenSSH_2.3.0p1
debug1: Seeding random number generator
debug1: read DSA private key done
debug1: Forcing server key to 1152 bits to make it differ from host key.

debug1: Seeding random number generator
debug1: Bind to port 22 on ::.
Server listening on :: port 22.
debug1: Bind to port 22 on 0.0.0.0.
Server listening on 0.0.0.0 port 22.
Generating 1152 bit RSA key.
debug1: Seeding random number generator
debug1: Seeding random number generator
RSA key generation complete.
debug1: Server will not fork when running in debugging mode.
fatal: get_sock_port: getnameinfo NI_NUMERICSERV failed
debug1: Calling cleanup 0x8061f9c(0x0)

Thanks!
    Jeff Davis