SCSI

I've not had anything to do with the Scsi interface. A little while
ago in anticipation of trying it, I picked up a PCI board made by
Iwill and called a 2930U+ plus a secondhand 2.1Gig IBM OEM
harddrive (also a S/H CDRom Drive which I shall leave for the time
being).

There's plenty of literature with the Scsi Host Adaptor - little of
which I understand at the moment, but I live in hope. Will a Potato
installation recognize this board - I haven't yet recompiled the
2.2.17 kernel for Scsi so don't know what will be involved.

The harddrive although old seems in good condition. Again, a
problem as I can find nothing on IBM's website which helps with
the jumper settings. There are 12 of these:-
	1. Spare(50pin)
	    ID bit3
	    (For Wide)
	2. ID bit 2
	3. ID bit 1
	4. ID bit 0
	5. Disable Auto Spin
	6. SCSI term on
	7. Disable unit attn
	8. Spare
	9. Auto start delay
          10. Delay start 6/12
          11. Disable parity
          12. LED out
How many jumpers do I need to set? And do I use 4 or 3 if
the drive initially will be the only device attached?

If I can get to understand Scsi and find it a viable alternative to
IDE, it was my intention to attach a CD writer and some new
harddrives externally (the board provides for this). Here again
I'm lost - some people I've spoken to insist only one device can
be attached externally whilst the literature clearly says up to 7.
Furthermore, here in the UK no-one appears to stock any 'boxes'
or whatever for more than one device. A stock explanation seems
to be "haven't seen any for years - there's no call for them"
(One 'charming' individual said he knows nothing technical
about computer parts "I only sell them".

Please, can anyone give any initial insight into the points that
are confusing me so far?            Regards, John