Re: Hi all

At 03:03 PM 12/2/2000 -0500, you wrote:
In a message dated 12/2/00 2:52:22 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tim@diligence.com writes:

Why runlevel 2? That makes no sense to me.

It's the second one you need.

I thought runlevel 2 was no network? I have always ran linux on runlevel 3.

The tricky part (must be) related to the fact that I am
building all my own stuff on /opt and not /usr/local

I'll always build my own web server software, but I love
that I can use dselect simply every day to keep the entire
OS perfectly secure.

The primary reason I want to move to debian is apt-get, like you I am very interested in keeping my OS secure. I worry a lot though. One apt seems to install things in /var/lib (huh??) I am used to installing things in /usr/local or /opt (in fact I want to be more obvious and create /apps and /data and call it a day! OTOH I want to make sure I compile php and postgres with the options I need. What happens when I download the source and recompile it will install in /usr/local. Will Apt know what version I have? If I do a --prefix and install it in /var/lib/postgres and then an upgrade comes out later will it overwrite my custom compile. Should I just say screw it and only rely on apt for system and compile my own apps?

So many questions for a debian newbie where is the debian guide?

             Tim Uckun
      Mobile Intelligence Unit.
   "There are some who call me TIM?"