Re: Partitioning disk

On Fri, 1 Dec 2000 14:16:19 -0000
"Bob" <mr_jimmybob@yahoo.com> wrote:

> In older days  a /usr/local was recommended because this is where you would
> install all the "alien" software on your system. By alien I mean, Things
> that did not come prepared for your system, or things you compiled yourself.
>
> Ourdays it is quite rare (at least from what I see), to find 'things that
> end up in /usr/local', so why put it in a different partition?. Dont!.

Wouldn't it be nice to give it more use even today. Maybe someone can
find a way to have the stable distribution in the main tree and the unstable
in local. There seem to be many people using stable, but wishing to
get also individual packets from unstable, not for testing purposes.
This might be a real challenge for the debian packaging system!

--
Christoph Simon
ciccio@prestonet.com.br
---