Re: pppd or pptp is not funny :(

On Fri, 01 Dec 2000 22:23:51 +0100, Sebastiaan writes:
>Hello,
>
>before I use a non-trivial solution, I would like to ask for one first.
>Everytime when I start my adsl connection, which goes via pptp and then
>pppd, my resolv.conf is edited and contains the nameservers my provider
>gives me (I see them in /var/log/messages). However, I have more (useful)
>information in my original resolv. When the connection is broken, I get my
>original back.

Do you have the "usepeerdns"-option set in ppp/options? If so, a quick
 glance at `man pppd` wouldn´t hurt ;-)

If, for whatever reason, "usepeerdns"-handling is broken, simply edit
 ppp/ip-[up,down].d/0dns-[up,down] accordingly.

>Of course I can edit my dialin script so it overwrites the file with the
>data I want, but I would like to know how I can pppd stop from beying
>annoying.

OT: I have difficulties believing that anyone besides our local
$quasimonopolytelco is stupid enough to provide adsl-service only over
a poor excuse for a protocol like pptp. Life never ceases to amaze me,
though.

hth,
&rw
--
/  Ing. Robert Waldner  | Network Engineer | T: +43 1 89933  F: x533 \
\ <Waldner@KPNQwest.at> |    KPNQwest/AT   | Diefenbachg. 35, A-1150 /