Re: Xwrapper.config -- values for allowed_users?

On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 12:00:29PM -0800, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> I'm getting the following errors running startx from console as a
> nonpriviledged user:
>
>     X: cannot stat /etc/X11/X (No such file or directory), aborting.
>     var: allowed_users, value: rootonly.
>     var: nice_value, value: -10.

I came across this error while trying to figure out why the new X 4
power management was killing my login sessions (still unsolved).  Turned
out it was fixed by small changes to XF86Config-4.  You may not have the
same options, but I had some options in the ServerFlags that were
written like:

Section "ServerFlags"
    BlankTime  10
    StandbyTime 20
    SuspendTime 25
    Offtime     30
EndSection

changing to:

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option "BlankTime"   "10"
    Option "StandbyTime" "20"
    Option "SuspendTime" "25"
    Option "Offtime"     "30"
    Option "NoPM"        "true"
EndSection

made the problem go away.  The "NoPM" told X not to use it's idea of
power management (the kernel/BIOS is already configured to do this, and
blanking/offtime still happen -- some kind of conflict I guess).

So, you might have some syntax problems.

--
Eric G. Miller <egm2@jps.net>