Re: startkde

Josh McKinney <forming@home.com> writes:

> You need to have X started to run KDE.

Ah, I see (thought 'startkde' would do that )

>  You can edit your /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc file, at the bottom it will have the stuff about starting gnome probably, you can just comment out the gnome part and put 'exec startkde'

Hmm, sounds easy, but I must confess to my shame, that I do not quite under-
stand how it is working.
/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc just does '. /etc/X11/Xsession' I do not understand
this X stuff well enough (and aren't fluent in bash syntax either) and
couldn't even find out, how Xsession finds out to start gnome...

While I can start gnome with 'startx' the only way I found to start KDE2
is to give startx a nonsense parameter ('startx nonsense'), which gives
me a X session with grey dotted background and a kind of terminal 'window'
where I can type 'startkde'. Still this does not look right ;-) (and the
KDE session can only be terminated by CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE)

Sorry, but I must ask again:
How do I have KDE2 and Gnome on a potato system and start either or?

Thank you for your help,
Robert Epprecht.