deleted root directory - help me!

Dear Deb-users

This is a disaster.  Whilst running a configure script (as su) it appears that my root directory was deleted.  I could not even run the ls command, for example, and I had to turn the power off.

I then booted the machine and the kernel is uncompressed but only gets as far as init - which it does not find and the boot stops.

So I then booted from the CD-rom distro (potato) and used the "re-mount from previously initialised partition" option for my root, usr and home directories.  I then use the "exectute sheel commands" option that taks me to ash shell.  The partitions are mounted off a directory called /target.  I find that using the ls command loaded at boot from the CD I can actually see all my files.  However the file allocation table is clearly not ok on normal boot.

How on earth can I repair this?

I have looked into fsck command - from get started guide - but am too scared to use it.

Whilst i can copy files accross to floppy, when in rescue boot, this will take forever which I would rather avoid if posible.

I would greatly appreciate any commands (with options) anyone might be able to suggest that could fix this problem.

PLEASE send answers to my personal account (as well as list) as, clearly, I cannot access the mailing list that easily!

Thanks

Tom