Re: PS/2 Mouse Pointer?

On Thu, 30 Nov 2000 ndw@nwalsh.com wrote:
> Network problems I expected, but this one I didn't: the mouse
> isn't working. The machine says it detects the PS/2 Mouse Port,
> but when I start gdm, the mouse pointer won't move.
>
> What else should I be checking for?

Here's what works for me:

____________________/etc/gpm.conf (entire)___________________________
device=/dev/psaux
responsiveness=
repeat_type=raw
type=imps2
append=""

____________________/etc/X11/XF86Config (excerpt)____________________
Section "Pointer"
        Device "/dev/gpmdata"
        Protocol "imps/2"
        ZAxisMapping  4 5
        Buttons 7
EndSection

Basically, this tells gpm to handle the mouse as a PS/2 mouse via device
/dev/psaux, & repeat the raw mouse events to /dev/gpmdata.  Meanwhile, X is
told that the mouse is a PS/2 mouse via /dev/gpmdata.  (The "ZAxisMapping 4
5" & "Buttons 7" are to enable the mouse wheel.)

Jay Ford, Network Engineering Group, Information Technology Services
University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA 52242
email: jay-ford@uiowa.edu, phone: 319-335-5555, fax: 319-335-5505