Re: configuring the kernel

    rwl>  Nate Amsden wrote:
    >> ip forwarding is not in the kernel config.  do echo 1
    >> >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
    >>
    >> to turn it on, replace the 1 with a 0 to turn it off. it can be
    >> done on the fly.
    >>
    >> in kernel 2.0 it was a kernel config option ...
    rwl>
    rwl>
    rwl> Yes, I just recently compiled a 2.0.38 kernel and was rather
    rwl> astonished not to find this option in the 2.2.17 config.
    rwl>
    rwl> It would be rather helpful to edit /etc/sysctl.conf with
    rwl> "net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1" as another user recommended.
    rwl>

More than one way to skin a cat.

You can also edit /etc/network/options, and make sure that
ip_forward=yes

--
Salman Ahmed
ssahmed AT pathcom DOT com