is there anyone using cucipop?

dear friends,

i allready asked once, but i am afraid, my mail got lost
somewhere...?

so here again:
i am trying to set up cucipop on a newly installed potato system.
only trouble is, it dosent't like to run in APOP-mode, which
would be very important here.

the makevpopdb program complains about "makedb2: Can't create
/etc/mail/vpop.db" and if compiled from source it says it even dosen't
know about db2...

all this behaviour has been documented in some quite old bug-reports,
but i cant find any solution to it.

can someone please just give a statemant on the status or
tell me how to work around the problem?

thanks

my system:

mars 2.2.17 #1 Sun Jun 25 09:24:41 EST 2000 i586 unknown

Package: cucipop
Section: non-free/net
Installed-Size: 199
Maintainer: Debian QA Group <debian-qa@lists.debian.org>
Version: 1.31-13
Provides: pop3-server
Depends: netbase, libc6 (>= 2.1), libpam0g
Conflicts: pop3-server, qpopper
Conffiles:
 /etc/init.d/cucipop e304a9a6f13d6ff1a6f208a038f236b8
 /etc/pam.d/cucipop 4b2506a7954690dad5e15341e0ef47f9
 A fast, robust implementation of the RFC1939 POP3 protocol,
 It does not use temporary files, it works reliably over NFS,
 and it includes an option to defeat "leave mail on server"
 clients.  Cucipop can run from inetd or as a standalone daemon
 (the default).

ii  cucipop        1.31-13        Cubic Circle's POP3 daemon
pn  cyrus-pop3d    <none>         (no description available)
pn  ipopd          <none>         (no description available)
un  pop2-server    <none>         (no description available)
un  pop3-server    <none>         (no description available)
un  popclient      <none>         (no description available)
rc  poppassd       1.2-11         Password change server for Eudora and NUPOP
pn  qpopper        <none>         (no description available)

--
Cynapsis Kommunikationsagentur GmbH
Dipl.-Ing. Martin Lorenz

Tel: +49 251 48265 24