Re: hdparm ATA66 on new drive+new system

mikpolniak wrote:

>         Last week after i installed potato on a new system i ran
> hdparm to test the new ibm ata66 drive and it showed reads of
> 32mb/sec. Since then the only changes i've made  have been
> apt-get installs which have increased my disk usage to 895mb.
>         Now hdparm consistently tests reads at around 28-29 mb/sec.
> Does 10% degradation in ata66 performance from brand new to
> one weeks use seem within the parameters of hdparm or is there
> another explanation. Not concerned about this, just curious and
> maybe there are some hardware issues i should be aware of.

disk speed can vary widely depending on where on the physical disk you
are reading from. on the systems that i run ide with i never use hdparm
(out of fears of killing my poor drives) linux by default seems to run
them quite well, also i don't run benchmarks.. if the drive isn't fast
enough i get a faster drive (Ultra160 SCSI) ..

nate

--
:::
ICQ: 75132336