Re: OT: port scan

On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 11:02:52PM +0100, Robert Waldner wrote:

> >> Domain-level blocking of...mail, news, DNS....
> >
> >Show me the ISP that is willing to take these steps because of a
> >portscanning script-kiddie. portsanning is not even illegal here in
> >Germany.
>
> But unauthorized use of ressources is, as is unauthorized altering. And
>  the preparation of illegal tasks (as which I would clearly define
>  port-scanning) is also illegal. There was some coverage in either c´t
>  or iX[0] some half year go iirc. Disclaimer: IANAL.

Would have to look it up. But I am pretty sure that portscanning
itself is not illegal. It is not forbidden to look at your house as
long as I don't step on your ground. In a network you don't have eyes,
you "see" with IP-packages.
To prevent getting observed one can build a wall - either a real wall
for your house or a firewall for your system.
Phil