Re: XFree 4.0.1 and xdm

On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 10:07:03AM -0500, Scott Patterson wrote:

> >I=B4ve succesfully installed Woody and XFree 4.0.1-8 last weekend. Only
> >xdm shows a strange behavior. It starts nearly one minute after the
> >system has bootet. It=B4s possiblke to login to a console, and suddenly
> >xdm awakes. Any ideas?
> >
> >Regards, Sven
>
> I had/have the same problem. Probably not what you want to hear, but I simply
> removed XDM from starting up by running "update-rc.d xdm remove". This will
> remove xdm from all your startup scripts.

You'll need to change that to "update-rc.d -f xdm remove" to force removal
of the links.

> Now that I think of it, I should just purge the package since I don't really
> want it. It must have been installed when I updated to XFree 4.0.1-x!

It comes with other things under the umbrella task-x-windows-system package.
I expect you'll want to remove that package after dumping xdm so it doesn't
get brought in on your next upgrade.  (IIUTC, trashing the task package
won't touch the underlying apps.)

Kenward
--
It is not so very important for a person to learn facts.  For that he
doesn't really need a college education, for he can learn them from