Serial Port 0 - Can you help?

I have referenced all of my Linux books on this one and still can't find
a solution.  So I am hoping you can help me.  I need to find a way to
prevent Linux from bringing serial line 0 up after a reboot.  The
ifconfig utility shows serial line 0 (sl0) as a PPP port set to an IP
Address of 192.168.0.1.  For some reason, I can't use eth0 to connect to
the Internet until I run "ifconfig sl0 down".  Thanks in advance for any
ideas or suggestions you can send my way.

                              Dave G. Bacon
                        Computer Network Manager
                    Outagamie Waupaca Library System
                 225 N. Oneida St., Appleton, WI  54911