Re: running X in a telnet session

Andrew Dwight Dixon <andrew_dwight_dixon@yahoo.com> writes:
ADD> I'm using telnet to log into my desktop machine from my laptop and
ADD> I would like to be able to run an application on the desktop machine and
ADD> have the display be on the laptop.  After loging into the desktop and
ADD> switching the DISPLAY variable:
ADD>
>> export DISPLAY="192.168.1.2:0.0"

You really want to be using ssh with X forwarding.  Both telnet and
the X protocol are completely insecure and leave you open to a variety
of attacks from anyone on the same network as you are.  Plus, once you
enable X forwarding in ssh (Debian's ssh packages ship with it
disabled), all of these issues are magically taken care of for you.

That having been said:

ADD> I get this error message when I try to run a program:
ADD>
ADD> Xlib: connection to "192.168.1.2:0.0" refused by server
ADD> Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
ADD> Application initialization failed: couldn't connect to display
ADD> "192.168.1.2:0.0"

X uses a couple of different access control methods to prevent any
random person who can guess your IP address from accessing your
display.  They're described, among other places, in the Remote-X-Apps
mini-HOWTO.  I think the Woody X is also configured by default to not
listen to TCP connections at all when you run 'startx', which could
also cause this "connection refused" message.

--
David Maze             dmaze@mit.edu          http://www.mit.edu/~dmaze/
	-- Abra Mitchell