Re: Debianizing tarballs: THANKS for the info!

Many thanks for the responses! I've managed to create a .deb from source
and install it. The process is somewhat more complicated than compiling
a kernel, but not that much.

"Jaldhar H. Vyas" wrote:

> The New Maintainers Guide (package: maint-guide) already has a lot of this
> information and is comprehensive enough for simple packages.  IMO you
> should work on enhancing that rather than starting a parallel effort.

This document is very helpful; it sets a high standard for clarity.
Kudos to Josep Rodin, the author!

Jim Crumley wrote:

> Well, there already is any easy way to do this - apt-get source.
> This command downloads the Debianized source of a package. To use
> this command you probably want to do the following:
>
> 0. Make sure that you have apt-get and debhelper installed.
>
> 1. Add a deb-src line to your /etc/apt/sources.list - something like:
> deb-src http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free

Great tip! I didn't know about adding a deb-src line.

John Hasler wrote:

> Use alien.

Another adroit suggestion; works great.

Thanks again to everyone!