Re: Apache won't start. Apacheconfig spews warnings/errors.

On Fri, Nov 24, 2000 at 08:38:06AM -0800, Brian wrote:
> A recent update to one or more apache module installation
> scripts resulted in quite a few services being turned off.
>
>[...]
>
> Whichever
> apache update made the changes (I installed several at once)
> disabled mod_status, mod_dir, mod_autoindex and mod_info, if
> memory serves.

These modules where commented.  Uncommenting them got me further, but
only to a different 'invalid command.'

Someone replied off-list to me, and I got some addtional info.
Apparently apacheconfig doesn't play well with Perl-5.6.  (A bug is
already filed.) By changing the first line of /usr/sbin/apacheconfig
to:

	#!/usr/bin/perl-5.005 -w

I was able to use apacheconfig to generate httpd/conf without errors.
The initial attempt at restarting apache failed, but the only problem
was a missing 'ServerName' directive.  Since I'm using apache only for
local web development I just added the following line to
/etc/apace/httpd.conf:

	ServerName localhost

and 'apachectl start' worked.

I like this solution since I'm not yet heavily into apache details,
and I like the idea of automatically generating httpd.conf using
apacheconfig.  To me hacking httpd.conf by adding a 'ServerName'
directive is easier than uncommenting several 'LoadModule'
directives.